Pico de gallo/salsa fresca
Salsa or pico de gallo recipes always contain onion or garlic. For this reason I have never had a chance to try these anywhere fancy. However, I have made my own version of pico de gallo without onion and garlic.
Normal salsa is runnier and the ingredients are blended together. For pico de gallo, the ingredients are chopped by hand. I used a dicer to get them into tiny cubes. I must say, it is so satisfying to see everything diced to the same size with a dicer.
This recipe would be great for those following a low FODMAP diet as well.
- 3 firm roma tomatoes, deseeded and diced
- 1/4 cup red capsicum diced
- 1/3 cup fennel (bulb/stems and leaves)diced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped coriander ( stems and leaves)
- 2-3 green chillies finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
- 3/4 tsp salt ( adjust to taste)
- 2 tbsps freshly squeezed lime juice
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and let it sit for 15 minutes before serving.
- If you are making the recipe in advance, combine everything except the salt and coriander leaves. Add the salt and coriander leaves just before serving.