Quick mexican rice/Brown rice with capsicums and corn
I love the firmness and texture of brown rice and it is what I tend to use for mexican rice. This mexican brown rice recipe is so simple and quick to make ( once the brown rise part is done)
The brown rice can be a mission. I feel like I can never get it perfect and so I get the ready made brown rice packets. I know, I know, I know its cheating but what to do, I like the packet version more than my own. Maybe one day, I will make my own version and share the recipe with you. For the time being, please make do with the alternative. I have tagged the one I get from Coles, here. You can try it for yourself and thank me later.
- 2 cups/1 packet (250g)
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 1/2 cup assorted coloured capsicums diced
- 1/2 cup deseeded diced roma tomatoes
- 1/2 cup sweet corn kernels
- 3/4 tsp salt (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 tsp pepper powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika powder
- 2 tsps freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tbsps freshly chopped coriander
- Follow the instruction on the brown rice packaging to warm the rice.
- Heat the oil in a pan
- Add the cumin seeds, corn and capsicum and saute for about half a minute.
- Add the tomatoes followed by the chili flakes, smoked paprika, pepper powder and salt.
- Saute for a few seconds
- Add the cooked brown rice and adjust the amount of salt if needed.
- Mix in the lime juice.
- Garnish with the chopped coriander
- Serve warm with sour cream
- Do not over cook the tomatoes, you do not want them completely mushy
- If you do not have smoked paprika, you can use normal paprika or cayenne paprika.
- You can use this brown rice recipe as a buritto filler too.