Loaded vegetarian nachos
Nachos is one of the quickest things that I can put together. It appears on our table too often. Simply because we love nachos :) The ingredients to make nachos are always available in my kitchen which makes it even easier. I always have cans of kidney beans or black beans that I can spice up to make my very own version of refried beans
Ingredients for the beans
- 1 can (400g) of drained kidney beans
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp ground oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1/4 cup tomato puree( passata)
- 1/2 cup finely diced green capsicums
- A handful of chopped coriander
- salt to taste
To assemble the nachos
- Corn chips
- Refried beans (from the steps above)
- 1 medium sized tomato-deseeded and cut into small cubes
- 1/4 cup of sweet corn
- 1/4 cup black olives
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green capsicums
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella and cheddar cheese (combined)
- 10 pickled jalapenos finely chopped
- coriander to garnish
- sour cream to top the nachos
Method for the beans
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Add the drained kidney beans, capsicums, tomato puree, salt, oregano, cumin powder and chilli flakes. Add some water and let the beans cook for a few minutes
- Use a potato masher or the back of a wooden spoon to mash some of the beans( we do not want them all mashed to puree)
- Add more water if needed. The beans should be of a slightly runny consistency or they tend to taste very dry.
- Mix in a handful of chopped coriander.
- Keep aside.
Method to assemble the nachos
- Preheat the oven at 200 degrees celcius on grill.
- Lay the corn chips in an oven safe glass dish.
- Evenly top with the refried beans.
- Layer with chopped tomatoes, sweet corn and green capsicums.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese over.
- Top with chopped Jalapenos and olives.
- Grill in the oven on the top rack until the cheese browns a little.
- Take the nachos out of the oven.
- Garnish with some chopped coriander and serve with sour cream