Basil walnut pesto
I guess the internet does not have enough pesto recipes and so I am going to add one to the endless list of pesto recipes to pick from. Whilst most basil pesto recipes are pretty much the same, this one does not have the so called magic ingredient most recipes call for,garlic. I assure you it still tastes amazing and you won't have a smelly breath after. I have always preferred walnuts in my pesto compared to pine nuts. Pesto is one of the things I tend to keep in my fridge as it adds great flavour to many recipes.
Do not forget to check the parmesan cheese does not contain any animal rennet or egg if you are following a sattvic diet. I have added in a few serving suggestions at the end of the recipe.
- 2 cups tightly packed basil leaves
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1 tbsp parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp pepper powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Combine all the ingredients with half of the amount of oil in an electric chopper.
- Transfer to a jar and top with the remainder of the olive oil.
- Refrigerate for up to 1 month.
- Make pesto pasta.
- As a spread on toasted sandwiches.
- Make herb bread with it.
- Use as a spread on bruschetta.
- Make pesto pizza.
- Make pesto and cream sauce gnocchi.
- Make pesto, spinach and fetta twists.
- Spread on dosa and sprinkle some cheese over it.