Sukuma wiki made with kale
Collard greens are referred to as Sukuma wiki in Kenya. Sukuma wiki - broken down into two words - Sukuma - Push, Wiki- the week, literally meaning push the week. Sukuma wiki is cooked and enjoyed as an accompaniment to Ugali. Here, in Perth, I tend to use curly kale cooked in a similar fashion to the sukuma wiki with a desi touch. This dish is very simple with minimal spices yet very flavourful.
Ingredients for the Sukuma wiki
- 200g thinly chopped kale including stems
- 2 medium sized tomatoes chopped into small cubes
- 2 tbsps oil
- 2 green chillies finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp salt- adjust to taste
Ingredients for Ugali
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup white corn meal
- 1 tbsp butter or margarine
- salt to taste
Method for Sukuma wiki
- Heat the oil in a deep pan.
- Once the oil is hot, add in the cumin seeds and green chillies til they crackle.
- Add in the chopped tomatoes, kale and salt and give it a good stir.
- Cover with a lid to quicken the cooking process. Add some water if needed
- Let the kale cook for about 10-15 minutes
- Serve warm with Githeri and Ugali.
Method for Ugali
- Add the salt and butter to the water and bring the water to a boil.
- Stir in the corn meal and let it cook for a few minutes.
- Serve warm with sukuma wiki.