Coconut coriander chutney- For dosa
This is the second chutney that I learnt from Shwata's mum. This is the first one. At my mother's house, we make our coconut chutney with yoghurt. I tend to like both versions and alternate the recipes at home.
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped coriander
- 2-3 fresh green chillies
- 1/2 inch piece of ginger- roughly chopped.
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3/4 tsp salt ( adjust to taste)
For the tempering
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 1-2 dried red chillies
- 10 curry leaves
- Add all the ingredient for the chutney to an electric chopper and grind to a smooth paste. Add a couple of tablespoons of water if needed to make the grinding easier and to your preferred consistency. Transfer the chutney to a bowl.
- Heat the oil for tempering in a tadka pan ( called a vaghariyu in gujarati)
- Once the oil is hot, add in the mustard seeds till the crackle, followed by the urad dal, red chilli and curry leaves.
- Once the urad dal turns slightly brown, switch the flame off and pour the tempering over the tomato chutney
- Serve with dosa, uttapam or idli.
- Adding the curry leaves can cause the oil to splatter. Make sure the leaves do not have moisture on them and quickly cover the tadka pan with a newspaper or lid to keep things clean in the kitchen.