Eggless coconut banana bread
I seem to always buy lots of bananas and forget I have them until I can smell banana all over the house. This is usually when they are way over ripe and all I can do with them is make banana bread. Not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing. This time though, I had enough bananas to make 3 loaves of banana bread and decorate each one with a sliced banana, How exciting?! There is lots of different banana bread recipes out there and this recipe is also different to the one I normally make. I liked this version as it tastes more like bread than cake although I would liked it much better with some chopped walnuts so make sure you add some in.
- 1 1/2 cups banana puree from 330g/3 large ripe bananas
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup rice bran oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 cups self raising flour
- 1/2 tsp soda bi carbonate
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 3/4 cup desiccated coconut
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. I bake mine at 160°C as I have a fan forced oven.
- Grease and line the base and sides of a medium-large sized loaf pan with baking paper.
- Whisk the mashed banana, brown sugar, cinnamon powder dessicated coconut, oil and buttermilk together in a large bowl.
- Sieve the flour, salt and bicarbonate of soda in a bowl.
- Gently fold in the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients (banana puree mixture) and transfer to the lined loaf pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and set aside for 5 minutes
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Cut into slices and serve toasted with honey cream cheese or butter.